The traditional puppets went from place to place to entertain the people with legends from myths and histories romances the puppeteers show influence of the paintings. costumes, sculptures and decorative art from their region which they belong.
Some of the famous puppets
- Strings are ties on the fingers.
- Cloth, wood are the costumes used in this puppets along traditional style.
- Carried from the single wood, with colorful costumes- Big dols.
- Drawn from historical romance and epics.
Regions – > Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka
- Strings are tied on the head of the puppet and in the two hands.
- Using metal ring the strings are attached on the head.
- Remarkably Skillful Art. (Post independence → people communication and stous against anti-brick.
- They are flat, leather made translucent, when they are pressed against the screen with strong source of light.
- Puppets are made up of animal hides, colorful costumes.
- Popular in A.P, MH, Karnataka and Odisha.
Some of the Shadow puppets
Famous in Andhra Pradesh, puppets are larger knees, waist and ankles. Stories drawn from the epics with regional music performance.
Puppets made of deer skin. They are Joint less, each is in one piece. Human and animal character are used as welt as maintains chariots too. origin → Odisha.
Famous in Karnataka, puppets are smaller in size, depicting kings and other religious character puppets are larger in size compare to common character puppets.
Kerala as same as Andhra Pradesh Tholu bommalattam.
- Manipulated in the full view of audience.
- Also called sleeve, Palm hand puppet.
- Puppeteer is skillful, he uses three fingers to manipulate the puppet and use dholak in other hand too at the same time.
- Popular tradition in W.B, Kerala & U.P
- Puppet enacts from epics and made up of wood, papier-mâché & cloth.
- Pavakoothu → Kerala is more popular than other.
- Much larger then the glove puppets they are manipulated by rods from below.
- Patul nach of W.B is an variety of art form puppet.
- A doll carved from the wood is tied on to the pole and fostered to waist of the puppeteer behind the screen.
In Bihar famous rod puppet show. Each doll is three to fair feet tall in this puppet and need very skillful puppeteers to manipulate and it’s joint less too, made by a single piece of wood all the food puppets needs skillful puppeteers to perform, dialogue deliver, singing are must for the puppeteer to manipulate rod puppets.