Turkey, is a transcontinental country, places its footsteps on the Anatolian Peninsula and Balkan Peninsula. During the period of Alexander the Great, Hellenization, Greek culture began in the country and continued until the Byzantine era. The Seljuk Turks migrated towards the country in the 11th century and defeated Byzantines in the battle in 1701. The Mongol invasion in 1243 ended the Seljuk Sultanate rule and separated into a small partition called beyliks. In the late 13th century, the Ottomans captured Balkans and then start to unite beyliks. The Ottoman Empire had become influential in the world by encompassing vast areas of Southeast Europe, West Asia, and North Africa during the reign of Suleiman. In 1913, control of the country was in the hands of three pashas, and they were the leading cause for the entry of empire in the First World War. Following the World War and the genocide, the Ottoman Empires’ territories and peoples federation were separated into several large states.
The main ethnic groups of Turkey are Turkish people, and they are the main constituent of the country’s 70% citizenship. Other than Turkish, there are more than 47 ethnic groups in Turkey. Other ethnic groups of the county are Albanians, Assyrians, Bosniaks, Arabs, Circassians, Georgians, Lazs, Pomaks, Kurds, and Roma. Among them, Kurds are the largest minority populations of at least 20 percent. Armenians, Greeks, and Jews are identified as the country’s ethnic minority groups.
With a total area of 783,356 square kilometers, Turkey is the 37th largest country in the world. Turkey is bordered by Greece, Bulgaria, the Black Sea, Georgia, Armenia, Mediterranean Sea, and the Aegean Sea. Istanbul, which passes through Europe and Asia, is the largest city in Turkey. With Ankara as its capital, the country’s 97% of the area is in Asia, and the remaining 3% were in Europe. The Bosphorus, the Sea of Marmara, and the Dardanelles separate the Asian Turkey from European Turkey. The Aegean Sea, the Black Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea surround the country.
Turkey’s population in 2018 was 82,319,724, and it was estimated to reach 83 million in 2019. The population density of Turkey in 2018 was 103.5 people per square kilometers, and the median age is 31.2 years. The life expectancy at birth for the total population was 77 years. As of 2018, the urban population was 75.1%. The net migration rate of Turkey in 2020 is 0.600 per 1000 people.
Turkey is a non-religious state, and it provides freedom for all religions. A survey in 2016 revealed that Islam is the main religion in Turkey. Islam is considered to be the main religion of 99.8% of people. Among them, Sunni Muslims are the majority, while the other 0.2% of people are Christians and Jews.
The official language of the country was Turkish, spoken by 85% of its population. Kurmanji is spoken by 11% of people as their mother language. Arabic and Zara is spoken as the mother tongue of 2% of people.
Turkey is one of the founding members of OECD and G20. Its GDP (nominal) is the 19th largest and GDP (PPP) is the 13th largest in the world. Turkey holds 17 UNESCO World Heritage Site in its area; hence tourism plays an essential role in the country’s economy. Beko and Vestel brands are the largest producer of consumer electronics and home appliance Turkish brands in Europe. The external debt of the country reached $453.2 billion in 2017. At the end of 2017, Turkey’s annual current account deficit was $47.3 billion. The GDP (nominal) of Turkey in 2018 is $771.35 billion, and it was estimated to reach $813 billion in 2020. The HDI value of 0.806 in 2018 determines that it has a very high human development category. It’s Automotive Industry in 2015 ranks 14th in the world for the production of 1.3 million motor vehicles.
What is Turkey’s country code?
The country code for Turkey is TR.
What are the interesting facts about Turkey?
Santa Claus was born in Turkey.
Turkey introduced the beautiful tulip flower to the world
Turkey is the world’s largest producer of hazelnuts
One of Christianity’s oldest churches located in Antioch, Turkey
Istanbul is the world’s only city spanning two continents, Europe and Asia
What are the borders of Turkey country?
Turkey shares borders with Greece, Bulgaria, the Black Sea, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Aegean Sea.
What are Turkey’s most famous foods?
Manti, Şiş kebap, Köfte, Baklava, Pide, Kumpir and Meze are the famous Turkish foods.
Who are the Turkish people?
Turkish people or Turks are the Turkic ethnic groups who mainly live in Turkey and speak Turkish.
What is the Turkey country’s size?
Turkey has a total area of 783,356 square kilometers.