What is brahmo Samaj?
It is the reform movement established by Indian freedom fighter Rajaram Mohan Roy with his Modern & Western Ideas. The Two Important Pillars of this reform movement are Vedas and Upanishads. Prayers, Meditations, Reading of Upanishads are the main form of worship in this reform movement. It doesn’t believe in the statue, Image, Portrait of God. It opposed Sati & Idolatry.
Rajaram Mohan Roy Established Brahmo Samaj in the year 1828 as the reform movement influenced by Modern and western ideas. The founder believed in western ideas, human dignity principles, and social equality. He doesn’t want to form a new religion.
Important Leaders of this Reform Movement
- Maharishi Debendranath Tagore
- Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
- Ashwini Kumar Datta
- Keshab Chandra Sen
what is the difference between Brahmo samaj and Prarthana Samaj ?
|Brahmo Samaj||Prarthana Samaj|
|Believe in Monotheism Faith||Believe in Monotheism Works|
|It Opposed Idolatry and Sati . It Encourage principles of human dignity and Social Equality||It supports, disapproval of caste system and encourages widow remarriage and women’s education, Increase the marriage age for both males and female|
|Founder : Rajaram Mohan Roy||Founder : Keshab Chandra Sen|
|Other Leaders are Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Ashwini Kumar , Maharishi Debendranath Tagore , and Keshab Chandra Sen.||Other Leaders are Mahadeo Govind Ranade, Bhadarkar, Chandavarkar.|
Main Objectives and Principles of brahmo samaj
- Brahmo Samaj was Founded on 20-August-1828 by Raja Ram Mohan Roy and Debendranath Tagore
- It denounced the Polytheism & Idol worship
- It discarded faith in divine avatars
- It denied any scripture could enjoy the status of the ultimate authority of transcending human reason and conscience.
- It criticized the Caste System.
- It took No definite stand on the ‘doctrine of Karma.’
- To Purify Hinduism and preach Monotheism.